Monday, February 2, 2009

More ways I'm going to hell...or am I?

Ever since I saw Thoda Pyaar, Thoda Magic, I've been joking about Rishi Kapoor being God. I mean, some people have a picture of an old white guy with a long beard; Alan Moore has his sock-puppet; so why not? Thinking of Rishi as God, the whole idea of religion makes much more sense to me than it usually does, especially in his disco pantsuit phase.

My parents had something going on last weekend, so we didn't end up going to church until yesterday. I was thinking to myself, "Hmm, this Rishi thing works surprisingly well," when we hit the confessional "how we screwed up this week" section of the unison Opening Prayer: "We listen to false prophets and worship idols of our own making."

Oops!

Actually, I wonder how well False Prophet pays in this day and age? Of course, there'd be a lot of missionary work to do in these parts, where most of the heathen are unfamiliar with any of the Kapoors...

To add to the humorously me-themed message, the text was I Corinthians 8:1-13, in which Paul more or less says dude, it doesn't matter if other people sacrifice to their idols or not: it's not really hurting anything, unless you have a "weak conscience." (Verse 5: "For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6: yet for us there is but one God..." Which gives some Biblical credence to those Victorians who got the whole "all religions are basically one" ball rolling).

On the one hand, worshipping idols of my own making is frowned upon in the Methodist Church, but on the other, well, as long as I don't lead others astray, it's not a big deal. So actually, I may be okay here. After all, I'm not planning to form a cult -- really, who has the time?

No comments: