Sunday, December 16, 2007

The glaceous salt of the earth

The clock radio strayed onto a Christian station at some point, and it's just stayed there because, well, it isn't static, and besides, it only plays for a few seconds at a time. Depending on my tendency to hit the snooze alarm. Besides, sometimes it provides me with entertainment.

Like this morning. Somewhere in the range of 6:30 a.m., it goes off in the middle of a sermon. A man is saying, "If God is a glaceous God...that is, a gracious God."

Ha ha!

Much to my delight, the only definition I could find online was from my old friend, Sir Thomas Browne, author of Pseudodoxia Epidemica (aka, Epidemic of False Beliefs.).

"Definition of Glaceous:Gla"cious (?), a. Pertaining to, consisting of or resembling, ice; icy. Sir T. Browne. - Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"

(Obviously, Webster's used to use the old OED trick of defining things via pre-existing quotes, since Browne predated this edition by at least a couple hundred years).

Then I strayed onto the Wikipedia, where Virginia Woolf is quoted as saying, "Few people love the writings of Sir Thomas Browne, but those that do are the salt of the earth."

That Ginny, she had me totally pegged.

No comments: