Tuesday, August 6, 2019

News of the Weird

I dreamed last night that I met someone and, at the last minute, remembered to give them my business card. Maybe that's a sign. So here's a quick update on my recent doings.

My essay, "The Mumbo Jumbo Kathedral: HooDoo and Voodoo in the 'Work' of Ishmael Reed," is in the recently published collection Voodoo, Hoodoo and Conjure in African American Literature.The book contains essays by two writers who I cited, who are big names in the field, so that's pretty cool. Reed's Mumbo Jumbo and The Last Days of Louisiana Red are two of my favorite novels, and it was really fun to dig into their roots in conjure.


I've been on a roll with the amazing Hippocampus Press. The essay "Meditations on the Agnostic Gothic" appears in Dead Reckonings No. 25, and "Red Hand, Red Hook: Machen, Lovecraft, and the Urban Uncanny" in Lovecraftian Proceedings No. 3. I also have an essay, "A Fit Symbol for His Meaning: Arthur Machen and the Inexpressible," in the upcoming The Secret Ceremonies: Critical Essays on Arthur Machen, which will debut at NecronomiCon Providence 2019, in -- yikes -- three weeks?


The Dark Man: The Journal of Robert E. Howard and Pulp Fiction Studies has new editors, and issue 10.1 contains my Robert E. Howard essay "No Refuge in Idealism: Illusion Meets Reality in 'Xuthal of the Dusk.'"

I've also been blogging regularly about classic horror movies at the Haunted Cinema. My latest was on this obscure Bela Lugosi film:

Well, that's a fair bit of activity. I'm also in three book clubs right now, so I don't know how I have time to watch so many TV shows. If you end up at NecronomiCon Providence this year,look me up: I'll be at the Armitage Symposium on Friday morning!

No comments: