Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Baking Workout Plan

Left early to see The Golden Compass and wow, good! If possibly a little "heavy," a little dark and philosophical, to really make it as a blockbuster. I hope they make the rest of the movies though, and I will definitely have more to say on the "controversy" now that I've started to read the books.

But since I'm reading books all the time, I'm going to hold forth first about the real novelty of my weekend -- after the movie, and a recon voyage to Barnes & Noble, I spent most of the rest of the day baking Christmas cookies. There were these Swedish knot-shaped cookies, and Russian teacakes, and a kind of sugar cookies with a lot of honey in them, so they have a graham cracker quality. And SpyGirl made some oatmeal M&M chocolate chunk cookies, just, you know, on the side.

I've got to say, Home Ec. is tougher than it looks. All that beating and stirring is really a workout for the upper arms. I felt like I should have started a little smaller, trained a little more, but on the other hand, I'm only slightly stiff today, and there are cookies to show for it. So all's well.

And yes, blackmail photos were taken of me performing alien acts like flouring a rolling pin, as well as one posing with my Betty Crocker Cooky Book, a vintage floral apron around my waist, and the word HOMICIDE emblazoned across my shirt....

No comments: