Sunday, July 29, 2007

Isn't it Romantic?

The other night we were out at our favorite dive bar and talked briefly to an acquaintance-of-an-acquaintance who seemed to feel really bad that he couldn't remember my name, even though there's really no reason why he should. I don't know why, but I noticed that he was wearing a t-shirt that read "Kiss Me, I'm Shit-Faced."

Then yesterday, we went on the little riverboat cruise on the muddy greenish-grey river we call the Red. It's nice to get out in an area where you can almost blot out the presence of so-called civilization behind a screen of trees. Except of course for the distracting presence of all the people on the boat with you....

Anyway, we passed by the side of a familiar underpass, where I've found lots of very nice spray-paint art over the last few years, now sadly painted over. But there was something new...big, plain black letters, clearly visible from the middle of the water: "Kiss Me, I'm Shit-Faced."

"You don't suppose it's the same guy?" I asked my honey. No, that would probably be even more of a coincidence. And then, the other day I was reading an article with some BS about memes, and thought to myself, here's a classic example of a meme spreading suddenly. The screaming meme-ies!

The tour meandered slowly on its way. I got all relaxed and dreamy-like, ignoring the spiels about conservation. Too soon we had to go back to solid ground, and run to the convenience store to pick up a few supplies before we could get to phase two of our day: the sci-fi club picnic. Cutting through the parking lot, we passed one of those pay-phone shells, an open frame around the standing phone. And on the inside wall, in black magic marker: "Kiss Me."

No sign of "I'm Shit-Faced," but I'm willing to bet if I really scavenger hunted, I'd find that half of the phrase written somewhere in the ten-block radius.

No comments: