Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wish they all could be California Netflix sites

Last week, I had to wait for Baazigar to come from Santa Ana, CA (I was telling people, hey, it's a Shah Rukh movie! They should automatically stock up more copies than that!) After I returned that, now there's a Filipino horror movie called Kutob at the top of my queue, and I have to wait for it to come from San Jose.

Obviously, there are worse problems than this, but if blogging isn't about minutiae, I don't know what is. If I ever get to California (but not, dear god, on the Greyhound again), this is probably my tip-off that Filipino horror movies are easier to come by than I'm used to. (Actually, without the Internet, they'd be completely impossible to come by. All hail the Internet!) Come to think of it, I know one person who lives in San Jose, and he's married to a Filipino woman.

As far as I'm concerned, an area's ethnic diversity only makes my life easier!

You know, this thought process makes me wonder: maybe half my movie-watching taste developed via the thrill of the hunt. I've always got something I'm tracking down. All those formative years, having such limited access to the rest of the world and its artistic products, even including regular Hollywood movies.

How much is out there that I've still never even heard of, and have no way of knowing exists? Stuff that I would LOVE? I've just gotta keep on researching, and hope cool things keep turning up. The odds are good.

(And why oh why is Netflix so slow to get the new Mondo Macabro releases? They never add them until I've given up and bought them. True, I'm probably going to buy Queen of Black Magic eventually, but if I watch it first, I at least have the pretense of being sensible...)

No comments: