Saturday, May 3, 2008

Flown in by Lufthansa

I grew up on books with the word "Discard" stamped in the back, so I always check out the book sale shelf at the public library. Yesterday I found a book called Vision of India, a collection of excerpts from famous Indian writers, including Gandhi, Nehru, Tagore, and my man Vivekananda, published by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations.

Fine in and of itself, but even better are the inside covers. Two stickers are glued to the book: "With Compliments and Good Wishes to the People of the United States of America from Rotary Club of Vapi and Rotary Foundation for Education and Learning, Vapi Dist., Gujarat, India." And "Flown in by Lufthansa."

By the way, I looked up the Rotary Club of Vapi, and they're still a going concern.

There are still education groups and charitable organizations sending books to India, so it's amusing to think of Indians sending books to North Dakota. I could make a cultural wisecrack, but it wouldn't be fair considering that there've been more concerts, plays, and dance performances lately than I can get to. Still, it's nice that the people of Vapi were thinking about us.

No comments: