Thursday, February 14, 2008

Today in Absurdist Popular Culture

Aw, someone just told me that I should be Chuck Klosterman! (Don't worry, she's a reputable source, so I'm confident she meant that I should have a Chuck Klosterman level of success, not that I should, you know, be more like him in a general sense).

I noticed that he's billed as a "pop culture guru" in his blurbage. This is one of those difficult marketing conundrums. If you had to toil in obscurity, or call yourself a pop culture guru, and do so with a straight face....After all these years with my honey, you'd think I'd have worked on my deadpan a little more. But come to think of it, this is exactly where all that pop culture irony comes from. If I ever reached the point where I'd have to market, I think irony would be an absolute necessity!

In other news, I watched Hospital Massacre (sadly, not up to the standards of New Year's Evil), and I'm working on my review. I also watched Karz, and I can see why there were rumors of Om Shanti Om being a remake; the story's different, but there are similar elements. And O, the details! The villain, who's mute and communicates to his minions by rapping on various objects, looked, my honey said, "like an Indian Boss Hogg." Absolutely true. That observation was almost immediately followed by a car chase, giving us a Dukes of Hazzard in the Twilight Zone moment.

It's also the first movie I've seen so far featuring devotion to Kali, so, needless to say, I was very excited about that.

No comments: