Saturday, December 8, 2007

What content isn't problematic?

Going to see The Golden Compass today, and I suppose I could have waited until afterwards to comment on the freakin' posting board of our local paper. People just rile me up too much.

Here's the level of discourse on the "talk about this subject" page: "Nobody is as rigid and dogmatic as an atheist exist." Rigid about grammar, perhaps...no, seriously, I know open-minded Christians, and open-minded atheists, but then again, I know I'm not normal.

The original article on the supposed controversy mentions the Catholic Bishops' review and rating (the descendant of the old Catholic League of Decency, which has the power to deem movies with the scarlet O for "morally objectionally content"). A quick Yahoo search proves that many religious groups are claiming that it's been taken out of context, and the church doesn't really approve of it. And since no link was provided in the article, I felt I could jump in with research, while trying to remain to neutral.

Because once I'm out of neutral, good God, no pun intended, I could rant all day and all night!
So I posted this comment:

I've seen some web sites dispute the Catholic Church's position on this movie, saying that it's been misinterpreted by the media and the movie should still be condemned.So for the record, here's the link to the review on the official Catholic film rating website, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops:http://www.usccb.org/movies/g/thegoldencompass.shtmlA quote from the review: "an exciting adventure story with a traditional struggle between good and evil, and a generalized rejection of authoritarianism." Deemed fine for "general patronage," and not rated for any kind of "problematic content."

Of course, personally, I'm hoping that my blog would rate an O. Come on, I said "pigfucker" the other day; that's gotta rate!

No comments: